So, you’ve forgotten your Instagram password. It happens to the best of us. Thankfully, you don’t have to make a new account. You can still access your existing account with a quick fix. Here’s how to change your Instagram password from inside and outside your profile.
From the App
If you’re locked out of your account, follow these steps to change your Instagram password from the app.
- Open the app and click Log in on the opening screen.
- On the next screen, click Forgot Password.
- Enter the phone number or email address connected to your account.
- Click Reset Password. Instagram will promptly text or email you a link.
- Click on the text or email you just received.
- Enter your new password into the New Password and New Password Confirmation fields.
- Click Reset Password.
- Instagram will then send you a text or email with a four-digit security code. Enter the code into the Security Code field.
- If successful, Instagram will automatically take you to your account’s main feed.
- Refresh the app and log into your Instagram account with your new password to make sure the update is solidified.
If this procedure does not work, the most likely reason is that you failed to enter the same password in the New Password and New Password Confirmation fields. Go through the steps again and make sure you type the identical password in each field.
From Facebook (Only for Accounts Linked to Facebook)
Since Instagram is owned by Facebook, many people have their accounts linked to each other. If your accounts are connected, you can access Instagram from Facebook in just a few easy steps.
- Open the Instagram app and click Forgot Password.
- On the next screen, click on Continue As [Your Name Here] with the Facebook icon beneath it.
- Once you log into Facebook, you’ll get directed to your open Instagram account.
This process gives you access to your Instagram account, but you still need to change the faulty or forgotten password. You shouldn’t use Facebook to log into Instagram every time. Both accounts should have their own unique passwords.
Tips to Remember Your Password
Now that you know how to change your Instagram password, you need to protect it. Everyone forgets their passwords, but there’s really no excuse for it. You need a back-up plan in case your memory fails you. Here are a few quick tips for remembering and protecting your passwords.
- Write it down: If you don’t trust yourself to remember your passwords, write them down on a secret index card. Hide the card in your backpack or pocket and retrieve it whenever a password slips your mind.
- Use a Password Manager: password managing tools link your accounts and passwords to all of your devices, so you don’t have to re-enter them every time you want to log in. Some managers also encrypt your passwords so unauthorized users can’t see them.
- Go Beyond the Requirements: most sites have the same password requirements, including a capital letter, number, special character, etc. Go beyond these requirements and create a password that you have no choice but to remember. Many people choose a word that induces a powerful emotion like joy or disgust.
Since Instagram has been around for a while, you might not have changed your password in a few years. Take this opportunity to update your password to something more unique and secure.
Follow Us On
Get the latest tech stories and news in seconds!
Sign up for our newsletter below to receive updates about technology trends