Snapchat has been around for years. It is a great way to interact with family and friends. You might have seen this number under your username and wondered what it is or how it works.
That rating represents a user’s Snap score. Here is everything you should know about the Snap score feature.
What Is Snap Score and how does it work?
A person’s snap score represents how much they use the application. In other words, the numbers showcase a user’s activity. The score serves no broader purpose and is only a fun way to show how much time you have spent on Snapchat.
According to statistics Oberlo has released, active users utilize the Snapchat camera at least 20 times a day. The way the score works is that every time you perform a specific action, you receive one point. It is worth mentioning different factors can affect your score. For example, sending a Snap to a friend will earn you one point.
The more you use and interact with the application, the more points you earn, adding to your score. Checking your Snap score is a straightforward process. The first step is to go to your profile section.
To do this, tap your Bitmoji’s face icon in the top left. Your Snap score will show up under your username. If you tap on your score, it will reveal additional information.
This includes the number of snaps you have sent to friends and the amount you have received. These are two of the easiest ways to increase your Snap score. If you are curious to see how your friends’ ratings look, you will need to navigate over to their profile page.
Next, tap the chat window and select your friend’s username. After that, you can click on their Bitmojie icon and their Snap score will appear. It is worth noting that if you can’t see it, chances are they have either blocked or removed you as a friend.
What Factors Affect Your Snap Score?
Snapchat keeps it a secret how they calculate a user’s score. While they are vague about what factors they look at, it is clear sending and receiving Snaps play a crucial role. Here is a quick overview of a few components that could affect someone’s Snap score.
- Sending Snaps to friends
- When you receive Snaps
- Returning to the app after you have not used it for a while
- Maintaining a Snap Streak
- The amount of friends you have
- Posting Snaps in your stories
One important thing to know about a user’s Snap score is that it can’t go down. So, you can take a break from the application and your rating will not decrease. In addition, if you do decide not to utilize the application for a while, you might receive a bonus of six additional points.
It is also worth noting that some actions you perform carry no weight in improving your score. Here is a quick summary.
- Sending the same Snap to multiple friends: It is a common misconception that if you send the same Snap to numerous users, you will receive points for each of them. However, this is not the case. To increase your rating, you should send unique Snaps to friends and not the same ones you have previously sent.
- Only sending messages: This is also a common misconception. Snapchat is all about sending photos and videos. While you can still message users, it does not contribute to your Snap score.
Can Third-Party Apps Raise Your Snap Score?
If you want to increase your score, you might have encountered third-party apps and websites claiming they can do so. People should not fall for these statements. Unfortunately, they are scams with the main intent of stealing a person’s money.
The only way to increase your Snap score is to utilize the application. If you spend more time on Snapchat, your rating will improve naturally with time.
Tips to Increase Your Score
That said, you can employ a few strategies to increase your score. If you are serious about this, your key objective should be to use Snapchat as much as possible. Remember, even though the rating could look impressive under a user’s name, it does not provide any real value.
Here are a few tips that could help you do this:
- Prioritize sending different Snaps: As mentioned, sending the same Snaps to other users will not get you more points. Your best bet is to send different and unique ones to friends. If you make this a priority, your score should increase quickly.
- Snap with popular users: If you Snap with people who already have a high rating, there is a chance that it could increase yours. If this is important to you, consider going through your friend list to see who has a high score and send them a Snap. If they open it, you will receive a point.
- Use the stories feature: Another strategy you could try is to use the stories feature. Many people who have a high rating rely on this feature a lot. Upload a few stories and see if it helps to increase your Snap score.
- Open snaps from friends: This is one of the easiest ways to improve your rating. Open any Snaps that you receive from friends.
- Maintain Snap Streaks: While opening Snaps is an effective way to increase your score, you should also send one back. If you and a friend do this for a few consecutive days, you will obtain a Snap Streak. The longer you maintain it, the more points you will get.
What Should You Do if Your Score Is Not Increasing?
In some scenarios, a user’s score might stay the same even if using the app. If this is the case, you could try a few things.
- Restart your phone: If the Snap score is not changing, it could be the app is experiencing technical difficulties or you encountered a minor glitch. The best thing to do is to restart your phone. If this does not fix the issue, you could wait a little longer or contact support.
- Update Snapchat: If an application is not on the latest firmware, it could experience some minor bugs and glitches. Ensure Snapchat is running the latest version and if not, update it. This could remedy the problem.
If none of these fixes work, you could try logging into your account again. Remember that if you choose this route, you could lose your memories if they are not backed up.
To do this, navigate to your profile page and select the gear icon. After this, you should see a “Log out” option appear. If you have successfully logged into your account again and your Snap score is still not improving, your best bet is to contact support.
Obtaining a High Snap Score
While the Snap score does not have a deeper purpose, it is a fun way to show users how much you use the app. Remember that the only way to increase your rating is to use Snapchat more and that applications claiming to do this are likely scams. With you implementing a few of these tips, you should obtain a high Snap score quickly.
Follow Us On
Get the latest tech stories and news in seconds!
Sign up for our newsletter below to receive updates about technology trends