Has someone told you recently to clear your iPhone’s cache? If this is your first time doing so, don’t worry. It’s a simple process that can free up space on your phone. However, you should recognize the pros and cons before you do it. Keep reading to learn how to clear cache on iPhone.
What Is a Cache?
First, it’s important to know precisely what a cache is. You may hear this word a lot without a definition, but it’s rather simple. A cache is a form of software or hardware that stores data. With this storage, it can process future requests faster by filling out the information automatically.
For instance, your autofill uses your iPhone’s cache to supply that information. It occurs after you enter your usernames and passwords for the first time and allow it to save that data. Then, each subsequent login pulls from the cache to make the process as smooth as possible.
It holds other information, too, like excess memory of files and images that it can pull up quickly should you need any of it. Therefore, clearing it comes with different benefits and drawbacks.
The Pros and Cons of Clearing a Phone’s Cache
The pros and cons are fairly simple when it comes to clearing your iPhone’s cache.
In terms of the benefits, clearing your phone can free up storage and increase speed. That’s right — your cache can slow down your device if it’s holding too much data. It’s not necessarily that your phone is old — many factors contribute to performance and speed. Memory, too, is something that the cache takes up. Once you free that space, you’ll have more storage.
If you have a good memory or write your passwords and information down somewhere secure, then clearing your cache shouldn’t be a problem. However, if you don’t want to lose all that convenient data and memory, you might want to think it over for a bit.
How to Clear Cache on iPhone
There are a couple of ways to clear your iPhone’s cache. The most common way is to do it through Safari. However, you can work with individual apps to optimize their storage, as well.
The first option is to clear your Safari’s cache. Before you begin, make sure you have all your information and data written down so won’t have to try to remember it or reset anything. With this method, you should:
- Go to the “Settings” app on your phone.
- Scroll down and click on Safari.
- On this page, you’ll see an option to “Clear History and Website Data.” Click on it.
- A confirmation screen will pop up, and all you have to do is tap the option again. Then you will have cleared your cache.
- Offloading Apps
Safari will take up a good portion of your cache and can free up speed and storage. However, you can work with individual apps, too, to optimize your phone’s performance.
The iPhone makes it easier than ever to free up space and speed with its “offloading” options. Here’s how it works:
- In your settings, click on “General.”
- Then click on “iPhone Storage.”
- You’ll see your phone’s storage capacity at the top, and a list breaks down usage by app. Towards the top, there will be a recommendations section. You should have the option to enable the offloading of unused apps. There will be a description of what will happen if you click “enable.”
- However, you can also go into the individual apps and click on “Offload App.” Either way, your phone will do everything for you to clear the cache.
- More Speed and Storage
Clear You iPhone Cache Again If Your Phone Acts Up
Now that you’ve learned how to clear cache on iPhone, you can do it on your own device. It’s a simple process that gives you more speed and storage. All that’s left is a few taps on your phone.
Follow Us On
Get the latest tech stories and news in seconds!
Sign up for our newsletter below to receive updates about technology trends