Video is one of the most important forms of communication in the world today. Of all internet traffic, the majority of it — projected to make up 80% by 2021 — is video content.
There’s no shortage of internet platforms out there for consuming video. Of these, Vimeo has become one of the most popular in recent years. This site boasts around 90 million registered users and 170 million monthly visitors.
Everybody knows nothing disappears from the ‘net once it’s uploaded, but sometimes you want even more permanent access to internet videos. That’s why you need to know how to download Vimeo videos. The following guide provides a quick rundown on how to do just that.
Four Methods for Downloading Vimeo Videos
There are several methods for downloading videos from Vimeo. We’ll start with the most straightforward and go from there.
1. Check for a Direct Download Option
In some cases, Vimeo video uploaders allow fans to download their videos directly from the website without any hassle or outside software. This ability varies by video, but it’s worth checking first before you install anything.
If a content creator has enabled this option, you’ll see a hard-to-miss “Download” button directly beneath the video and above its description. Clicking this button opens an options dialogue with choices for resolution and destination.
2. Install a Desktop Program
For videos without a direct download option, there’s always external software. One of the most popular of these is 4K Video Downloader. It’s not just for 4K resolution videos — and it also works on Instagram and YouTube. Here’s how to use it:
- Download 4K Video Downloader for your operating system and install it.
- Copy the URL of the Vimeo video you want to save.
- Open the software. Click the green “Paste Link” button within 4K Video Downloader.
- When prompted, choose your desired output resolution and file destination.
3. Use a Web-Based Tool
Like many others, you might be hesitant to install third-party software on your laptop or desktop. If that’s the case, you also have a choice of web-based video download tools. These are agnostic with respect to the operating system and still provide the results you want.
Of these, ClipConverter.cc is among the easiest to use — simply follow the directions below:
- Copy the Vimeo URL for the video you want to capture.
- Navigate to ClipConverter.cc and paste the URL into the designated field.
- Click “Continue.” Then, specify your resolution, filetype and desired filename.
You’ve got other online options, too. Navigate to KeepDownLoading.com and follow a similar procedure as above to download videos from Vimeo, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Dailymotion and others.
4. Add a Chrome Extension
Chrome users who want to download and keep Vimeo videos have another option. The Chrome browser extension called Vimeo Video Downloader has more than 100,000 users as of May 2020 and an almost perfect rating in the Chrome Web Store after 382 reviews.
Here’s how to use it:
- Add the extension to Chrome using the link provided above.
- Navigate to the Vimeo video you want to save.
- Click the extension icon in your toolbar to bring up the “Download” option.
- Choose your resolution and destination.
Vimeo Video Downloader also adds download tools to embedded videos and search results pages. Hover over the video thumbnail to reveal the “Download” option in the corner of the image.
Start Downloading New Videos
Now you know how to download Vimeo videos! Everybody has different reasons for downloading and saving online videos for posterity. Just be sure you’re not running afoul of copyright laws by distributing or profiting from the content you’re grabbing. Apart from that, have fun watching and downloading Vimeo videos to your heart’s content!
Follow Us On
Get the latest tech stories and news in seconds!
Sign up for our newsletter below to receive updates about technology trends