TikTok is the wildly popular app that just can’t seem to slow down. Its silly and genuine humor draws people of all ages in and entertains you for hours. If you’re looking for an all-inclusive guide on how to create a TikTok account, set up your profile and starting using the app, keep reading. Here’s everything you need to know about getting started:
Creating an Account
In April of this year, TikTok crossed the two billion downloads mark — and that number is only increasing. If you’re looking to get in on the excitement, you can sign up through email, phone or your social media accounts. Follow these simple steps:
- Download TikTok from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Tap the Me tab in the bottom right-hand corner. This option will take you to the profile screen.
- Tap the username at the top of the screen. TikTok will then prompt you with options to register through your email, phone number or through your Facebook, Twitter, or Google accounts. If you have an Apple device, you can continue with that account, too.
- Keep in mind, if you choose social media, TikTok will use the same name and profile picture you have for that app.
- Enter your birthdate when it asks.
- Follow the verification steps with whichever path you choose. For instance, you’ll need to confirm or verify your account through email or with a phone code.
- Last, create a password.
At some point, TikTok will ask for permission to access certain folders or abilities. You can allow or deny these prompts. Then, you’re ready to get started on the next part of your TikTok account signup.
Setting up Your Profile
Creating your profile is one the best ways to dive into using the app. It lets people know you’re active — whether you’re creating content or just liking it. Here’s how to set it up:
- Click on the Edit profile option on the Me tab.
- Here you can choose a profile picture or a profile video, change your name and username and write a bio. You can also link to your Instagram and YouTube accounts.
- In the Settings menu — the three dots in the upper right-hand corner — you can switch your profile to private if you prefer.
- Click on Privacy and safety then toggle the Private account button so it’s on.
- Explore the other settings and adjust them to your preferences. For instance, you can turn on dark mode if you’d like.
- After that, find your friends and follow them. Look for any creators that you know and like as well.
Once you’ve set up your profile, you’re all set to find and create content.
TikTok has a ton of abilities for what you can do. To get the hand of it all, follow these tips:
From left to right at the bottom of your screen, you’ll first see the Home page. It has two different sections in it. First, the default is your For You page. Here is where TikTok shows you videos that it thinks you’ll like. The more you interact, the better it understands your preferences.
Follow the creator and like, download, comment and share these TikToks right from each video. One helpful feature is the audio section. Each video shows which audio the creator uses at the bottom. Click on it to see who else has used that clip.
Next to the For You page, you’ll see the Following tab. This page only shows people you follow so you can connect with your friends and favorite creators.
Next on the bottom is the Discover page. Here you’ll search for content through hashtags, trends, users and anything else you’re looking for.
The middle, + button is where you create content. With TikToks up to 60 seconds, you can splice together clips, add filters, edits, audio and visual effects, songs and hashtags. Remember, the app has dozens upon dozens of features for editing — you can explore them all!
Participate in challenges by using the same hashtags and audio as the other users. It’s a good way to gain engagement. Also, the duet feature allows you to respond or react to another user’s video.
Next you have your Inbox. This tab is where you’ll see all your activity and notifications — follows, accepted requests, comments and likes. In the top right, you’ll see a messages button where you can chat with your friends and send them TikToks.
Last, your Me page is your profile. It has your posts, likes, followers, following and how many likes you’ve gotten on your TikToks in total.
Ready to TikTok
With these tips as your basis, your TikTok account signup is now complete. All that you have left to do is start enjoying the app to its fullest potential.
Follow Us On
Get the latest tech stories and news in seconds!
Sign up for our newsletter below to receive updates about technology trends