One of the reasons many people are reluctant to switch from an Android phone to an iPhone and vice versa is the fear that they will lose all of their data. However, transferring your data between the two phones, even from different manufacturers, is possible. Here is how to transfer your data from Android to iPhone.
Use the Move App
- Make sure you have enabled Wi-Fi on your Android phone.
- Plugging your Android phone and iPhone into a charging outlet is recommended, as the process can take some time.
- Ensure your iPhone has enough space to contain all the files you are moving.
- Turn on your iPhone and place it next to your Android phone. On your iPhone, follow the directions to set up your phone for the first time.
- When you get to the “quick start” screen, choose to set up manually.
- The next screen will be “apps & data.” Look for the option to move data from Android.
- Next, open the Move app on your Android phone. Accept the terms and conditions if this is your first time using the app.
- Your iPhone will generate a code to use on the Move app on your Android phone. If it shows an alert that your internet connection is weak, dismiss it and continue.
- Enter the code from your iPhone on your Android phone.
- Your iPhone will create a temporary Wi-Fi network. Your Android phone will ask you to join the network.
- Select the content you want to transfer to your iPhone and tap “continue.”
- After completing the transfer, tap “done” on your Android phone. Then tap “continue” on your iPhone and finish setting it up.
Certain items, such as your apps, music and PDFs cannot be transferred using the Move app. You must manually redownload them from Apple’s app and music stores or transfer them to a different device.
Using Your PC
The Move app is the easiest way to transfer data from Android to iPhone, but other methods exist. If you can’t use the Move app, you can use your PC as an in-between to transfer your files.
To do this, you must download a third-party program such as FoneTool. This program will facilitate the transfer of your data from your Android phone to your iPhone. It will also convert the data to the iOS format to be compatible.
You can follow these steps to transfer your data using your PC.
- Connect your Android phone to your PC.
- Find the files you need and drag them to a folder on your PC.
- Launch FoneTool.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC.
- On the FoneTool interface, click “phone transfer.” Then “PC to iPhone.”
- Click “start transfer.”
- Choose what kind of files you want to transfer.
- Choose the folder that contains your Android phone’s data.
- Click “start transfer.”
- Wait for the transfer to finish.
There are also alternatives to using third-party software to transfer data from your Android phone to your computer and then to your iPhone. You can also use iTunes, Apple’s file and music management software.
iTunes comes free to download with every iPhone. However, you must be careful since iTunes will overwrite any existing data on your iPhone with the ones transferred from your Android phone.
Follow these instructions to use iTunes to transfer your data.
- Connect your Android phone to your computer.
- Copy all of the songs, photos, and videos from your Android phone to a folder on your PC.
- Plug in your iPhone and open iTunes.
- In iTunes, click on “file.”
- Choose “add a folder to the library.”
- Choose the folder that contains your Android data.
- Click on the device tab. Then on “music.”
- Click “sync music.”
- Choose which music files you want to transfer to your iPhone.
- Go back to the device tab.
- This time choose “photos.”
- Click “sync photos” and select the Android file.
- Choose the photos and videos you want to transfer.
How to Transfer Data From iPhone to Android
Since there are many methods to learn how to transfer data from Android to iPhone, it might go without saying that the reverse is also possible. You can find many ways on the Apple store to facilitate a transfer of data to an Android phone.
Using Cable Adapter
Many Android phones come with a small USB-A to USB-C adapter. This device allows you to connect your Android phone and your iPhone. USB-C to Lightning cables are also available, but they might come separately.
Using this adapter makes directly transferring your data easy. Once they are connected, both phones will prompt you to initiate the transfer by choosing what you want to send to the other phone. If the prompt does not appear, try turning your Android phone off. Unplug the adapter and plug it back in — then turn it back on.
This method is the easiest way to transfer data, but it requires the latest Android and Apple operating systems versions. The cable has a hard data limit, so it might have problems transferring large files.
Using Google Drive
Google Drive is a great way to backup and transfer files. Since Google Drive is available for both devices, you can use it as a transfer system if you don’t have the cable adapter. Follow these steps to transfer your data.
- Download Google Drive to both of your phones.
- Sign into your Google account or create one if you already have one.
- Use Google Drive on your iPhone to back up your data.
- Once it’s finished, go to Google Drive on your Android.
- Choose which files to transfer to your Android phone.
Transferring Your Data is Fast and Easy
Learning how to transfer data from Android to iPhone is easy if you have the right tools. Finding the easiest app or method for you and switching phones from Android to iPhone is a piece of cake.
Follow Us On
Get the latest tech stories and news in seconds!
Sign up for our newsletter below to receive updates about technology trends