Adobe Flash officially retired on December 31st, 2020. The software platform had a history of security issues, and with the rise of accessible and mobile gaming, the writing was on the wall long before Adobe discontinued it. By January 2021, major browsers were blocking Flash automatically. But what if you still want to use it? Here’s how to unblock Adobe Flash Player on different browsers so you can play games, watch videos and stream music.
Unblocking Adobe Flash Player on Google Chrome
A quick note before you get started: Using Flash can compromise your computer’s security since Adobe no longer updates it. If you still want to unblock Flash Player, here’s how:
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store.
- Look for Flash Player + under the Extensions tab.
- Click Add to Chrome.
- Next, click Add extension.
- The Flash Player icon will now appear in your extensions bar on the top right of your browser.
- Click on the icon to use Flash Player.
Unblocking Adobe Flash Player on Microsoft Edge
If Microsoft Edge is your preferred browser, follow these instructions to allow Adobe Flash Player:
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Navigate to the Edge Add-ons page.
- Look for Flash Player 2022.
- Click on the blue Get button.
- Select Add extension.
- The Flash Player icon will appear in your extensions bar. Click on it to view Flash content.
Unblocking Adobe Flash Player on Firefox
If you want to use Flash Player on Firefox, follow these steps:
- Open the Firefox browser.
- Go to the Firefox browser Add-ons page.
- Look up Flash Player in the search bar.
- Click on Flash Player.
- Click the blue Add to Firefox button.
- Select Add.
- The Flash Player icon will appear in your extensions bar. Click on the icon to use it.
Unblocking Adobe Flash Player on Opera
Opera is a less popular browser, but many people still use it. Here’s how to enable Flash Player on Opera:
- Open the Opera browser.
- Search for the Opera browser Add-ons page.
- Click Install Chrome Extensions.
- Click the green Add to Opera button.
- Copy the URL for the extension under the phrase “To use this extension…”
- Paste it in the search bar.
- This takes you to the Chrome Web Store. On the Extensions tab, search for Flash Player 2022.
- Click Flash Player Emulator 2022.
- Click the blue Add to Opera button.
- Click Add extension.
- When you click a Flash video, the Flash Player Emulator extension will open and allow you to play the video.
Is It a Wise Choice to Keep Using Flash?
In general, no. It could expose your computer to security risks. There are many other programs like HTML5, WebAssembly and WebGL that perform the same functions as Flash, but with better security, because people still update them. It would be better to use those instead of relying on outdated technology.
If you just want to access old Flash Player games, you can do that without actually using Flash. There are several programs dedicated to preserving Flash games that use alternative software. Some examples include Newgrounds, The Flash Game Archive, BlueMaxima’s Flashpoint and The Flash Game Archive.
Holding Onto the Past
If you really want to unblock Flash Player, now you know how to do it on several different browsers. Just be sure to regularly check your computer for viruses and other security breaches.
Follow Us On
Get the latest tech stories and news in seconds!
Sign up for our newsletter below to receive updates about technology trends