In 2010, Instagram first came into this world. Ever since then, it’s been growing in popularity and breaking ground on what it means to be a social media platform. As you use it, you’ll need to know how to update Instagram. Luckily, it’s a simple process for both Apple and Android devices.
Why It’s Important to Update
Like any app, Instagram is always updating. With over one-third of Americans using Instagram, the platform has a lot of people to cater to and serve the best experience.
Keeping up with the updates means you get all the newest features and compatibilities. Something like Instagram’s dark mode was a big deal when it first came out — and people wouldn’t have gotten it if it weren’t for a simple update.
Apart from new features, though, updates bring bug fixes and minor tweaks that make the app run more smoothly. Without updating, you’d be stuck with those issues. Even worse, if there are any security flaws that Instagram ever needs to fix, you’ll want to update right away.
All in all, the pros of updating outweigh the cons. You get the new content and features through a simple process.
Here’s how to update Instagram and Apple and Android devices:
First up, Android devices have two options for updating Instagram. Users can do it manually or they can turn on automatic updates.
To update Instagram manually, follow these steps:
- Open up the Google Play Store app on your Android Device.
- Look for the Options toolbar, which will usually be in the top left corner.
- Click on Apps and Games. This selection will take you to a page that lists all the apps that are available for you to update.
- Click on Instagram or scroll until you find it.
- Tap Update and you’re all set!
The app will begin to update — all you have to do is sit back and relax for a few moments. However, there’s an even simpler option.
If you want to clear your mind of all worry about updating Instagram — and all your other apps, too — then you can turn on automatic updates for your Android device. Here’s how:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap the hamburger menu — which is the three horizontal-line button.
- Then tap on Settings.
- Here, you should see an option that says Auto-update apps. Click on it. From there you’ll have two choices.
- If you’d like apps to update automatically regardless of Wi-Fi or cellular network, tap on Over any network.
- However, if you don’t want to use your data, you can choose the second option — Over Wi-Fi only. Then, your apps will only update when you connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Automatic updates are useful for anyone who doesn’t want to manually update each app. It keeps the apps current, and you don’t have to give it a second thought.
In a similar process to Android devices, Apple has two different paths you can take when you’d like to update Instagram.
If you’d like to take control and make sure Instagram updates, here’s what you can do:
- Find the App Store on your phone or other Apple device.
- Click on your profile’s icon in the top right corner.
- Once you scroll down on the profile page, you should see apps that are available to download.
- Find Instagram.
- Then, tap on Update and that’s it!
The app should update quickly. If not — and with Android devices, too — try finding a better cellular or Wi-Fi connection.
If you want to let your Apple device do everything for you, then you can turn on automatic updates with these steps:
- Go into the Settings app on your Apple device.
- Click on your name.
- Tap on iTunes & App Store.
- Under Automatic Downloads, toggle the button where it says App Updates.
Then, your updates will occur without you having to lift a finger.
Instagram Not Updating
If you run into any issues while trying to update Instagram, there may be a few reasons as well as some solutions.
Most commonly, Instagram doesn’t rollout its updates with new features to everyone at once. Usually, it randomizes who gets the update and disperses it slowly to the user base. If this rollout is the case for you, you’ll unfortunately have to wait for it to come to you. Otherwise, you could always create a new account and see if you get it there.
Other solutions include:
- Refreshing the updates page. Sometimes, getting the update is as simple as quitting the App Store or Google Play Store apps and reopening them.
- Checking your Wi-Fi or cellular connections. If you have poor signal, wait to update or try to find somewhere with better service.
- Logging out and back in to the app.
- Deleting and reinstalling Instagram.
- Shutting off your phone and turning it back on.
If all else fails, you can try to contact Instagram to see what the holdup is. However, if it’s an update with new features, it’s likely that the platform is just debuting it slowly to select users at a time.
Instagram is a powerful app with millions of daily users all over the world. With such a prominent following, knowing how to update Instagram is a necessary step. For Apple and Android, it’s fast and easy. Whatever the next update is for the platform, it’s sure to be critical!